A supplier to the construction industry with a rich history

De Hoop Terneuzen has been around for over 100 years now. A milestone.  And that’s not just because of our top-notch products and services. It’s also – and it’s mostly – because of our countless craftsmen who give the best of themselves every day, so that we can continue to grow, expand and innovate as a supplier to the construction industry. That enables us to keep standing out from the competition. Motivated employees who roll up their sleeves to achieve our goals, with passion for construction, loads of ambition and a sense of responsibility. Our group can look back on a fascinating history. Here, we tell the story of a family company from Zeelandic Flanders, in which 4 whole generations have helped build our success. 


In short, together for a rich history.


Innovative trailing suction hopper dredger Anchorage comes home

The ship the Anchorage, purchased in 2019, left Harlingen on Monday 8 June 2020 for its first trip to Terneuzen. On Tuesday 9 June, at around 5.00 p.m., we welcomed her to Terneuzen. It was spectacular to see the ship coming through the locks for the first time.

The Anchorage is a unique ship with a slender build, equipped with a smart diesel electric installation. This means that energy supply can be arranged efficiently for sailing, dredging and unloading the ship. The application of this installation greatly reduces the ship’s energy consumption and, therefore, also its emissions.  

October 2019

Acquisition of Bouwmaterialenhandel G. Koolschijn

Like De Hoop Terneuzen, Bouwmaterialenhandel G. Koolschijn, founded in 1920, is a real family company, passed down from father to son. For Koolschijn, the acquisition means that their activities under the Bouwcenter flag can be continued and expanded as part of a family company.

For De Hoop Terneuzen, the acquisition of Koolschijn fits its policy of expanding and reinforcing its activities in the central part of the country.

September 2015

Special capstone in The Zeelandic dikes project

In the early 1990s, it turned out that the dikes’ stone facings no longer lived up to safety requirements. During a violent storm with strong, crashing waves, the stones or concrete blocks could break loose. Therefore, for nearly twenty years, work was done on various spots on the Zeelandic dikes. Between 1997 and 2015, Haringman Betonwaren supplied and installed a total of 325 km of dike reinforcements as part of these efforts.

In September 2015, Minister of Infrastructure Schultz van Haegen laid the project’s symbolic capstone. This finishing stone is a special one. It is a concrete pillar (Hydroblock) measuring 1 m2 – quite a bit bigger than the normal Hydroblocks that are used in dike reinforcements.  The stone was donated by Haringman Betonwaren. The public can admire the capstone on the dike at the end of Strandhoekweg in Kamperland.


100th anniversary

A milestone. The many long-lasting relationships, customers and suppliers have been the foundations that made the group’s steady growth possible. The financial crisis that reached its highpoint this year made the Board of Directors decide to postpone the festivities.  

Finally, in 2017, the anniversary was celebrated in a big way, with a party in Terneuzen for all of the group’s employees and their families.  One of the highlights of the party was a performance by Roel van Velzen.


Logus-De Hoop and Marathon Zeeuws-Vlaanderen inextricably linked

Since Marathon Zeeuws-Vlaanderen began in 2008, Logus-De Hoop has been the title sponsor of this running event. Whoever says Marathon Zeeuws-Vlaanderen says Logus-De Hoop, and vice versa. It is one of the many activities and events in the region that we, as De Hoop Terneuzen, support.

The organisation’s origins and its ties to the region are the primary reasons why we have joined hands with this event as its title sponsor,  and we are proud of that!

20 January 2007

Building material store partnership

On 20 January 2007, the Logus project had its official kick-off in the building materials sector. The project marked the beginning of a close partnership for all of the building materials businesses that fell under De Hoop Terneuzen.


Continuously building on growth and development

The steady growth of the group through acquisitions carried on after the turn of the century. In the year 2000, Big Boss (now Gamma Oostburg) was taken over, followed by the acquisition of, among others, Ready Beton (2002), Oosterbosch De Leeuw (nu Logus Roosendaal, 2006), Sterk Beton (2009), Bouwmaterialenhandel Rijnmond (now Logus Zwijndrecht, 2012), Verlegh Bouwmaterialen (2013) and Appel Beton (2015). What’s more, De Hoop also bought shares in Pilaar (now Logus Goes, 2000), and Zand- en Grindhandel Bergen op Zoom (2008) and CascoTotaal (2013) were founded.


Introduction of the sectors

By now, the company has grown into a group with 40 subsidiaries. So, in mid-1996, the sector structure is introduced. This structure can still be found here today. The group is split into 5 sectors, depending on the type of company: aggregates, readymix, concrete products, building materials and do-it-yourself.


Strong growth

The growth strategy was continued in the 1990s. In subsequent years, De Hoop took over  Rova Beheer (1991), Pelt & Hooykaas (1994), Schokindustrie (1995), Pekso (now De Hoop Pekso) in 1997, and Zand- en Grindhandel Waalwijk (previously De Rooy) in 1999. In addition, De Hoop invested in Fassaert Beton (1992), and the companies Trablo (1993) and Gamma Terneuzen (1994) were established.  De Hoop has its fortieth subsidiary.

27 March 1981

Official opening of the office on Duitslandweg

Due to insufficient capacity, in 1980, a new headquarters was built. In December 1980, De Hoop’s staff moved from the old sites Stationsweg to the new building at the port. The official opening of the Duitslandweg office took place on 27 March 1981.

Over the course of the 1980s, De Hoop grew through various takeovers, such as the acquisition of Pit Beton Heipalenfabriek (1984), Bleijko (1985), Haringman Betonwaren (1987) and Woittiez (now Bouwcenter Logus-De Hoop in Oostburg) in 1989.


NV De Hoop becomes De Hoop Terneuzen B.V.

Due to a change in corporate law and the introduction of the so-called ‘structured’ companies, in 1972, De Hoop decided to restructure. The public limited company gave way to the Dutch equivalent of a private company limited by shares, a B.V. (Besloten Vennootschap).


De Hoop Terneuzen steadily grows

In 1970, De Hoop invests heavily in other readymix depots, largely through existing customers who sold their businesses because they had no successor. In the two subsequent years, the number of employees rises to 410, and a separate HR department is created.  



1966 is the year in which De Hoop Terneuzen celebrated 50 years’ membership of the HIBIN (Handelaren In Bouwmaterialen Nederland, or ‘Dutch Building Materials Dealers’). This sector association gave the members celebrating this anniversary a wall board with the saying, ‘He who stays loyal and helps to build wins our gratitude in time.’ Though the words weren’t devised specifically for De Hoop, they did reflect one of De Hoop Terneuzen’s core values. Lasting relationships, both professional and private, often play an important role within De Hoop. Over the years, De Hoop has put itself forth as a reliable partner and does everything it can to keep fulfilling that role.

In 1966, De Hoop Terneuzen also has the biggest commission in its history: delivering two million tonnes of rubble to the Maasvlakte for Rijkswaterstaat.

29 November 1961

50-year anniversary

In 1961, the company celebrates its 50th anniversary with plenty of festivities. In honour of the jubilee, the first corporate film is made. The personnel also present the company with a model. It is a design by the famous artist Kees Timmer. In this work of art, De Hoop’s various activities are depicted symbolically: trade, industry and shipping. This lasting memory can still be seen in the stairwell at headquarters.

21 March 1960

Terneuzen readymix depot is built

In the construction world, it became increasingly clear that it was more efficient to make concrete in the desired compositions at a central depot, and transport the readymix to the construction site from there. De Hoop embraced this innovation and built its first readymix depot on Stationsweg, in Terneuzen.

29 December 1955

Décès du fondateur Govert Frederik Pieter van der Peijl

Le 29 décembre 1955, Govert Frederik Pieter van der Peijl, ancien directeur et fondateur de l’entreprise De Hoop Terneuzen décède.


Disastrous flood

The disastrous storm of 1953 doesn’t leave De Hoop unaffected. In the early days after the floods, on its own initiative, De Hoop sends out ships to help for several weeks.  De Hoop employees also help where they can, rescuing people from their flooded houses in rowboats. The holes in the sea dikes also need to be patched, which means tremendous demand for rubble, gravel, clay, filling sand and seawall blocks. The company has already built up such a good name that most of the affected suppliers leave the job to De Hoop Terneuzen’s people.

01 November 1944

Second generation takes the helm

Shortly after the liberation,  G.F.P. passed the reins to his two sons, Govert Jan Willem and Jan Gerrit.

Business is going well in the first few years after the war, and employees must work on Sundays, as well, in order to get all of the work done. There was a huge demand for building materials, including cement, in order to carry out reconstruction. Some materials are only available with a rationing coupon. Everyone scrambles to get the products he needs. So, the contractor received coupons for cement. By turning them in to De Hoop, he received other materials. De Hoop could then, in turn, get enough cement from the factories.


World War II breaks out

Already in the first days of the war, Terneuzen is bombed, and the people living in the city centre have to move to safer places at night. People seek shelter with family, but also at De Hoop Terneuzen’s storage area. Kerbstones are turned into ‘bunkers’, and De Hoop ensures that these people get support – for example, by having the local baker deliver bread.

De Hoop Terneuzen tries to keep the business running as best it can by having its staff build, among other things, a crane for the concrete factory, to keep them from being sent to Germany as much as possible.


Surviving in times of crisis

In 1932, the crisis reaches a low point. De Hoop Terneuzen, too, obviously feels the negative effects of the crisis. It’s sink or swim for De Hoop Terneuzen. The decision to strive to no longer be dependent upon banks gives shape to De Hoop Terneuzen’s vision, which is still in place today: long-term continuity as an independent family company.


First employee with a diploma

Bart van Neerbos is the first De Hoop Terneuzen employee to have an HBS (higher civil school) diploma. He immediately starts working as G.F.P. van der Peijl’s secretary. After that, he becomes the director of the modernised concrete factory,. The factory has a laboratory for the fabrication of concrete tiles, with a capacity of 10,500 tiles a day, as compared to 1,000 a day under the old set-up. Because of the good relationship between the two men, G.F.P. van der Peijl lends Bart Neerbos financial support in starting up the Van Neerbos companies.


The birth of the logo

Nearly 100 years ago, in 1922, construction of the ship De Terneuzen II led to the development of our own ‘house flag’, as it was called. 
The result was the flag that now symbolises De Hoop Group. The anchor symbolises the concept of ‘hope’, and the link between the blue background colour and water is clear, as well.
As for the Terneuzen II, it’s still alive and kicking! After many ‘make-overs’ and a string of owners, the ship now serves as a pleasure vessel.


Concrete factory built

In 1920, construction of a concrete factory began. Up to that point, there had only been open-air production, and the manufacture of products like cisterns and concrete pipes was primarily done by hand. Concrete production is further modernised in 1926.


First takeover

In 1918, one of the first takeovers occurs. NV De Hoop becomes co-owner of rock factory ‘De Vijver’ in Hoogerheide. Expansion, growth and getting bigger are keywords for Director G.F.P. van der Peijl. His goal is: build a noteworthy business!

29 November 1911

De Hoop PLC founded

On 1 May 1907, Govert Frederik Pieter van der Peijl sets up shop as an independent dealer in building materials at the site on Stationsweg in Terneuzen. Govert Frederik Pieter van der Peijl isn’t afraid of hard work. By train or by bike, a packed lunch with him, he visits potential customers, spending as long as it takes with them. Govert Frederik Pieter’s energetic approach pays off, and the young company steadily grows.

Four years after the company was founded, Govert Frederik Pieter explored the possibility of setting up a PLC. The public limited company ‘NV De Hoop’ in Terneuzen was established on 29 November 1911.